OpenAlchemist !

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed, because of too much spam. We are looking for a solution.

#1 2009-05-14 16:52:46

eyerouge

Community centered ideas + more

Congratulations on open sourcing a nice game, and doing it rather clean. It gives a solid impression and has a nice look.

Community building & Multiplaying
I think you would have an easier time getting people involved in the project and the game it self if you somehow got the players connect to each other. I also think that such connections, between the players, make them stick around with the game longer and that it makes people more invested into it. If you want the game to become a success you really must push it forward into some kind of multiplayer direction (as well as keeping the solo-mode now of course).

Here are some strategies, all working together or as separate ideas independent of each other, on how you could do just that:

1. Low-level community competition through online high-scores:

a) Why not have an option in the game where a user can input his name and also decide if he/she wants to participate in the online hi-score? That way we can all see who the top players in the world are by having a global hi-score list.

b) Since a global list would mostly be interested for the top players, it would be very nice to also have localized/national lists, so each country has it's own online hi-score list as well. This is very easy to generate from the database and is exactly the same code as in a) but with a minor modification to the SQL-queries. It would of course also require that a user can set not only his/her name in the settings, but also his/her nationality.

2.  Real Multiplayer modes:

a) One way of enforcing multiplay is to let people duel against each other: Whoever gets first to x points wins.

b) Another way of incorporating multiplayer is to have some kind of sabotage happen at your opponents game whenever you do something good on yours. There are many ways to handle that and it shouldn't be too severe since it would be impossible to recover from it if it was. Personally I favor a) instead of this, but I still wanted to put it on the table.

Graphics

1. Being able to changing resolution would also be nice.

2. The fonts that are  being used look kind of cartoonish/childish. I think it makes the game appear more of a childrensgame than it really is: It's clearly not a childish game, and even it can be played by kids of all ages it still is a game for the planner. This is of course my personal prefernce, but if I were you I'd change the font to something more neutral and standard instead of the childish/cartoonish font you currently use (which also has less readability btw)

Last edited by eyerouge (2009-05-14 17:51:45)

#2 2009-05-28 17:05:23

Keph
Developer / Moderator
Website

Re: Community centered ideas + more

Hi.

Well. I'm not sure we'll continue the development until this point (we have jobs, social life & others projects), but maybe in a few months...

One question about online high score : how to verify that nobody is cheating ?

Being able to changing resolution would also be nice.

Implemented in the development version (see SVN/Trunk).

Another way of incorporating multiplayer is to have some kind of sabotage happen at your opponents game whenever you do something good on yours.

We have an idea about this. But the only thing I can tell is "maybe".

So, thx you for your interest and sorry for responding so late.

#3 2009-06-17 17:34:48

eyerouge

Keph wrote:

Well. I'm not sure we'll continue the development until this point (we have jobs, social life & others projects), but maybe in a few months..

I share your sentiment - everyone that has ever coded anything understands that. While the casual players expect wonders within a short time frame from the developers I personally thought about it as a long term road map. That is, if you decide you want to develop the game further at all, such things would seem as decent and realistic goals.

Sadly good things take time. = /

Keph wrote:

One question about online high score : how to verify that nobody is cheating ?

In short: You don't and you (maybe) can't as long as we deal with open source software. That said, it wouldn't matter much since 99% of all players wouldn't cheat and even more of them lack the knowledge of how to do it, not to mention editing source code and compiling etc.

I've written a little about this phenomena and it's implications at  >>
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/Competitive_Gaming

(While we're at it, it would be nice to be able to download a replay of the highscored game, to see how the player managed throughout the game)

Keph wrote:

So, thx you for your interest and sorry for responding so late.

No probs, glad you answered.

Best of luck. smile

#4 2009-06-17 19:19:19

Keph
Developer / Moderator
Website

eyerouge wrote:

(While we're at it, it would be nice to be able to download a replay of the highscored game, to see how the player managed throughout the game)

It is my idea but if you can change the random apparition of pieces by a custom choice, it's no 100% safe.

But, it's could be more efficient than a simple HTTP request to a PHP page, for example...

Fortunatly, all players are not like him : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bq0aT-LWNIM

eyerouge wrote:

Best of luck. smile

Thanks you !

Board footer